A founding member of PDP and 2015 Presidential
election aspirant, Prof Akasoba Duke Abiola has
taken PDP to court.
The wife of late businessman, Chief MKO Abiola just
filed a lawsuit before a Federal High Court in Abuja in
opposition to the party's decision to make Jonathan
the sole candidate for 2015 Presidential election.
In the suit with number FHC/ABJ/CS/836/14, and in
which she joined the Independent National Electoral
Commission, INEC, she is seeking a perpetual
injunction barring the PDP from holding the
presidential primary election.
She is also seeking the court to bar INEC from
recognising President Goodluck Jonathan as the
party's candidate with an argument that the party
had failed to meet electoral requirements as
stipulated in its own constitution as well as the
country's Electoral Act.
Jonathan, on Tuesday declared his interest to re-
contest the position of president on the platform of
the PDP.
Mrs. Abiola, in an affidavit however said she was
disgraced by the party's actions, adding that, upon
issuance of the receipt by the party, she met with the
party's National Organising Secretary, who
congratulated her and asked her to return on 28
October 2014 to meet the National Chairman for an
official hand over the Expression of Interest Form.
She said when she got to the party's headquarters on
the said date, security agents at the entrance refused
her into the secretariat and, rather, became hostile to
her and her supporters.
When she eventually gained entrance into the
secretariat, she said: "I met the National Chairman of
the first defendant (the PDP) in his office amidst
some governors, who in turn directed me to meet the
National Secretary of the party to give me the
Expression of Interest Form.
"When I met the National Secretary of the PDP, he
informed me that the party did not have any
Expression of Interest Form to give to me…he further
informed me that the PDP had printed only one
Expression of Interest Form, which I demanded that
he gave to me since I was the only person that had
paid for the form as at that time.
"The National Secretary expressly told me that the
sole form available was meant for President Goodluck
Jonathan only, who has been adopted by the National
Working Committee and the Board of Trustees of the
first defendant as the sole/consensus candidate of
the party."
She said when she protested against the
discriminatory nature of the policy and demanded
the Expression of Interest Form she had paid for, the
National Secretary "bluntly asked me to go back to
the office of the National Chairman of the first
defendant and ask him to give me the Form."
She said when she again met Adamu Mu'azu, the
latter confirmed that the only form available was
meant for President Jonathan.
She added that upon learning that a date had been
scheduled for the collection of the form, she went to
the party headquarters where the National Secretary
again told her to go and get the form from the source
of her information.
Duke said PDP had breached section 50(1) of its
constitution and Section 87(1), Section (9) of the
Electoral Act 2010 as well as other sections of both
laws.
Apart from Duke Abiola, 3 other high ranking PDP
members are suing the leading party over the same
issue.
This has never been recorded in the history of
Nigeria. Where are the Human Rights activists????
Posted By David Aniemeka
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Railway operation resumes on P/H-Enugu lines
The railway system is known as one of the cheapest, convenient and fastest means of transportation in most parts of the world; conveying hum...
-
With the 2020 Olympics approaching, Qatar has started laying down some house rules for intended oloshos and guests that will be visitin...
-
Good things they say come to those who wait and work hard. Ghanaian TV presenter and actress cum solicitor, Sika Osei was over the...
-
The British police reportedly confronted a man who was trying to eat the face and eyeball of a woman and used a stun gun on the cannibal ...
No comments:
Post a Comment