Wednesday 17 December 2014

Soldiers Nab Fulani Herdsmen Robbing On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

The Lagos State Police Command has
detained two Fulani herdsmen, Mohammed
Umar and Manu Hassan, for allegedly robbing
motorists on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Our correspondent learnt that Umar and
Hassan, who were herdsmen from the Ngaski
area of Kebbi State, were arrested by soldiers
attached to the OP MESA while they were
robbing some people.

They were later handed over to the state
Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

PUNCH Metro gathered that three locally-
made rifles and some cartridges were
recovered from the gang.

According to the police, the gang of Fulani
herdsmen robbers, apart from the Lagos-
Ibadan Expressway, also has hideouts in the
Abbatoir, Abule Egba and Agege areas of
Lagos where they perpetrate their acts.

It was learnt that while the soldiers
apprehended Umar and Hassan, four other
members of the gang evaded arrest, and
were still on the run. The police further said
the suspected herdsmen robbers also had
hideouts in the Igbo Ora and Saki areas of
Oyo State.

Speaking with PUNCH Metro, 28-year-old
Umar said he had come to Kara Market on the
expressway to make a living by selling cows
before he joined the gang.

He said, "I am married with two children, and
my family is based in Kebbi. I was formerly
selling cows at the Kara Market before I was
introduced to the gang. I rob on the highway
and also steal cows, although I don't enjoy it.
I have stolen about 12 cows this year.

"I sold them to one Alhaji Dan Manu in
Abbatoir, Agege. I sold six to him for
N500,000. I don't have problem taking the
cows away. I know their language."

Twenty-two-year-old Hassan, from Bonza area
of Kebbi State, said the gang had just started
their operation when the OP MESA stormed
the place.

He said, "It was Mohammed (Umar) who said
they had a work to do that night and I should
come with them. I thought he was talking
about construction labour. But when I knew
we were going to rob on the expressway, I
told them I could not use a gun. They
threatened to kill me, and then handed me
one of their guns.

"We had hardly started the operation when
the soldiers arrived at the scene. Others ran
away, but I was caught. We were seven in
number. The soldiers might have killed me,
but I surrendered to them, explaining that it
was my first time."

The Lagos State Police Public Relations
Officer, DSP Kenneth Nwosu, confirmed the
arrest of the herdsmen.

He said, "They are the ones terrorising the
Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, especially around
the Kara Market. They have confessed to
several other robberies. Three locally-made
guns and knives were recovered from them."
Posted By David Aniemeka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Railway operation resumes on P/H-Enugu lines

The railway system is known as one of the cheapest, convenient and fastest means of transportation in most parts of the world; conveying hum...